Sunday 4 September 2011

A new job, a new continent, a new start

Good morning world from Mali! Today is my first full day in this beautiful country and I am here to begin my first real job as a Geotechnical student engineer. It is Sunday 4th September and therefore technically a day off leaving me a little confused as to what I should be doing and thus I find myself sat in my apartment Brain Dump-ing.

I departed from Heathrow  at 10am bound for Paris after an early morning drive from home in South Wales. From Paris I then changed and on to Bamako. I stayed in the Plaza hotel in Bamako for the night and the next day I found myself on an internal flight to a dirt landing strip at Tabakoto and the mine site. Proper Indiana Jones style. The view was spectacular, no words can describe and the turbulence was an experience. =)

The mine site is 'small' and everyone is welcoming and friendly. I have my own apartment with on suite etc. It is basic but comfortable and home for the next 2 months. I am waiting for an induction tomorrow and then hopefully I will be able to get on with some work to keep me occupied.

For now I am just revising work from uni and working out where things are and what is going on. With the induction tomorrow, I wonder what the next few weeks will bring...



No comments:

Post a Comment