Sunday 9 October 2011

I can see the light at the end of the drive (Tunnel in mining talk)

Hello my fellow Brain Dumpers...

Its Sunday 9th October. I have been here for over a month now and the end is in sight. With 3 and a bit weeks left it is still a distant speck but it is there all the same. I have found myself really starting to settle in. I will be honest, there have been plenty of ups and downs so far and I expect a fair few more but on the whole it has been a good and worthwhile experience. 

Work remains much as it has this past month. I have a review next week to show the work I have been carrying out and have begun looking at learning a few of the computer packages on offer here. I have also been   given the opportunity to learn geological core logging as well as the geotechnical core logging I am already doing. This has been given under the condition that I do not allow the exploration department to steel me and make me a true geologist. As much as my geological tendencies pull I will remain a geotechnical student engineer until my contract is finished.

Food here is still of a high quality and plentiful and I have spend a few evenings off in the bar getting thrashed at pool. Unfortunately smoking is permitted in the bar, clearly the Malians don't take after the Welsh government, and so I try not to spend too much time within the lingering smog. There is however a comfortable outside area in which to sit if you brave the mosquitoes.

I have been very pleased with the Rugby of late. Wales are proving to preform very well in defeat and victory 'touch wood' and provide me with no end of enjoyment when people take pity on me for being English, to correct them to my true nationality. (Sorry to the English out there...) The only issues is that I am the only Welshman on site and probably the only one you will find within 500kms if not more. Since I am in a French speaking country with lots of French, South African and Australian work colleague it maybe prove detrimental to my health if I slag off too much about the Rugby.

Today I have been into Tabakoto Village. A fascinating place and the first time I have been of site. There is a market and stalls small shops from the fronts of little mud huts. I was very glad to have had the chance to have a look around such a place. With Mali being one of the poorest countries in the world, It really hammers home how lucky Britain is, despite the recent Riots and the fact that my equivalent is Bridgend...I joke =)...

Well that is all for today's brain dump I do believe. Who knows when I next take a Brain dump [ =) ] Wales maybe on the way to victory or on the way home...and I wont be far behind them. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment